Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A response to a Facebook DJ group where a DJ is fed up with the Seattle scene...

I'm one of those DJ's that DJ B-Mello mentioned; that is, I have a day job and I DJ. However, the extra gravy is not the primary reason why I do it - not to rub it in, but I don't need it since I've already budgeted my lifestyle based on my day job. With that said, I take the effort and risk to do something to diversify the nightlife in my own way (e.g. Joints & Jams, Back To The DJ, Skratch Lounge). My goal is not for monetary value - it's to provide a home for older folks because Seattle nightlife is geared too much towards 18-24 yr olds. When I moved to Philly/NYC in 2000, I noticed something immediately - there were way more spots where a 45 yr. old could go and kick it and not feel old. I think this is completely absent in Seattle, and because of this, people that grow up here may subconsiously feel they need to settle down after 25 so they won't be the old dude/gal in the club. It's a real problem for the business in my mind because older people are the ones that have money to spend. And the promoters that say "old school" or 25+ never stick to it - I walk into their joint and they're playing Top 40 80% of the night. That's false advertising. At least I've felt that I'm making a difference and provide an event where I see alot of older people actually want to make it out - and that makes me, as a DJ, super happy because I get to play real old school and everyone is happy with it because they know what to expect. You don't have to be on the hunt when you go out dancing. Seattle has a really skewed view on dating, and it's driven by the wacky societal norm of nightlife here, which in turn fucks up the promo game, which in turn fucks up the DJ game.

2 comments:

Caroline Li said...

I totally agree with what you are saying here. If we keep giving in to the idea that "growing up" means you have to become boring, then we have nothing to look forward to. Instead, we should take our experiences and wisdom and turn it into something positive and contribute to the scene, rather than just look at it as a phase in our lives.

The people who are over the age of 25 and still going out probably have a deep appreciation for music and the nightlife scene because nightlife to them is more than just going to a bar and getting plastered drunk. Those that think they are too old to still go out were posers to begin with.

As for the whack dating and social scene here, well, you are who you hang out with. I've lived here for over 10 years and I'm still meeting some of the most awesome, intriguing, sexy people Seattle has to offer.

Get over yourselves and stop hating if you haven't tried creating something for yourself in this city.

DJ Bamboo said...

Thank you for comment. Spot on with the response!